E-commerce in Turkey 2015
E-commerce in Turkey, is rapidly growing market of the world. Young population, high use of smartphones and social media usage is way above the world standards. Yet, internet users in Turkey is 53% of total population (http://www.tuik.gov.tr/PreTablo.do?alt_id=1028) which makes market more attractive, potential for investors.
Let’s see some of the numbers of e-commerce in Turkey.
Turkey e-commerce Statistics
Turkey e-commerce statistics are not up to date all the time. Here is the latest numbers of my research,
- Turkey’s online retail percentage in total retail is 19th among G-20 countries. This statistic provides a forecast regarding online retail as percentage of total retail in G-20 countries whereas an average G-20 country has 6% online retail in total retail. http://www.statista.com/statistics/250707/forecast-of-online-retail-as-percentage-of-total-retail-in-g-20/)
- Turkish e-retail will be growing up to 15% – 20% in 2015 according to n11.com management (http://webrazzi.com/2015/02/18/n11-com-turkiye-e-perakende/)
- Turkish online shoppers are 10 million.
- There is 106 millions debit and 57 million credit cards are active in Turkey as 2015 Jan report of BKM
- Age dimension of Turkish online buyers is aged 18-24 (32%), aged 35-44 (24%) and aged 45-54 18% (http://bkm.com.tr/donemsel-bilgiler.bkm) January 2015.
- In 2014, average transaction value of all online shopping transactions was 220TL (90 USD)
- Paypal’s report (Feb 19, 2015) shows that Turkey has 53% of online shoppers use a smartphone to buy online which is very high number as you compared with EU average. (http://ecommercenews.eu/current-mobile-commerce-situation-europe/)
Bonus overview for 2015 e-commerce of Turkey
- Abraaj takes $100m stake in Turkish online group Hepsiburada (Turkish Amazon) more details on http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7257c686-b92b-11e4-a8d0-00144feab7de.html#axzz3Vq8BoDXT
- Turkey’s Modanisa Islamic fashion ecommerce announces $5.5M investment led by STC Ventures (http://www.wamda.com/2015/03/turkey-modanisa-islamic-fashion-ecommerce-5-5m-investment-stc-ventures)
- Turkish Industry and Business Association member and angel investor Sina Afra has great findings for Turkish e-commerce report 2014.